Saturday, September 13, 2008

Story - A Sack Of Potatoes

This is a story I love so much which I read in Dr. Ong's clinic one day. Dr. Ong was kind enough to email me the soft copy. We told the children this story during one of the sessions in Sunday Dhamma School.


One of my teachers had each one of us bring a clear plastic bag and a sack of potatoes. For every person we refused to forgive for whatever they did, we were told to choose a potato, write on it the name and date, and put it in the plastic bag.



We were then told to carry this bag with us everywhere for two weeks, putting it beside our bed at night, on the car seat when driving, next to our desk at work, etc.



The hassle of lugging this around with us made it clear what a weight we were carrying spiritually and emotionally, and how we had to pay attention to it all the time to not forget it and leave it in embarrassing places.



Naturally, the condition of the potatoes deteriorated. This was a great metaphor for the price we pay for nursing our grudges. Too often we think of forgiveness as a gift to the other person while it clearly is for ourselves!



So the next time you decide you can't forgive someone, ask yourself, Isn't your bag heavy enough?

1 comment:

Lee said...

Hi Jo-N, beautiful post this.
I regret even though I have forgiven certain people in my life....wounds can heal, but scars remain.
Especially wounds of the heart.

One was a lovely lady I was about to ask her become my life partner in 2 weeks when I return from an o/seas business trip. Already discreetly confided to her mom too.
But she three weeks when I was away went for holidays with a male friend she just me to Boston, US

And to think she told me how much she loved me.
And right now somewhere between Penang and Butterworth, in the sea lies some very, very expensive diamond, gold and emerald jewelery, a ring and earrings.

She had returned them to me on board a Penang ferry. I threw it into the sea.

Another hurt was not being with a beautiful woman, I never knew I loved her till it was too late...she on learning she had a fatal cancer quietly disappeared from my life, not wanting me too see her in that way and worry.
I searched for her for a year. Then gave up.
And only 30 years later learned of what had happened.

Her faded letter with only my name, no address found me here in Canada.
She a matured lady twice my age.

I posted out both stories last year.
And yes...Regrets I have but too few to mention...
Happy Valentine, Lee.